Saturday, October 22, 2005

Mail Matters

It's a Saturday full of unexpected pleasant surprises. I checked my mail on the way out at 11:00 to find three promising envelopes. I walked to my favorite cafe on the corner where you can order a basket of bread (although I usually stick to the baguette) and each communal table has an assortment of spreads and jams on it for your bread-eating enjoyment. Really, these "spreads" include a chocolate spread, a nutella-type spread, praline spread, almond butter, fig jam, orange marmalade, and of course good old-fashioned butter and honey. But that's beyond the point.... I happily ordered and set about going through my mail. First I opened a small envelope from my cousin Leah. It was a photo of my Grandma Gentine, looking fantastically vibrant, and a little note telling me to keep enjoying Paris. Next, I opened a padded envelope from my dad to find a color print-out photo and letter on top of two pieces of cardboard. I removed the cardboard to find about 8 beautiful Wisconsin fall leaves carefully pressed between sheets of wax paper. Since I was at a table outside, I held each one up into the sunlight to fully appreciate their color. The waiter came out with my baguette and coffee and marveled at my "collection de feuille," spread out on the table. I will put them up in my apartment to remind me of home. Thanks, Dad. And then I opened the last one--a letter from Obadyah. It also included a photo from his wedding--he and Zuri, his mom, and his brother. They were standing together in the visiting cell, he in his prison khakis. They let him wear the khakis instead of the usual bright red X-row one-piece uniform. His letter was, as always, inspiring, insightful, understanding, and honest. It felt like Christmas morning, since it's those little personal and extremely thoughtful offerings that matter the most.

After my leisurely breakfast basking in happiness and reflection (it took me an hour to eat my baguette and drink my cafe), I stopped home to drop off the French books which I had packed and planned to review over breakfast (until I found mail!). I saw that the tailor shop next to my front door was open, two Middle Eastern men standing over a suit coat full of stick pins. I stopped in and asked if they were able to do alterations to leather ("cuile", I learned). They asked to see it, so I ran up to my apartment and brought it back down. I put it on and tried to joke in French that it's walking so much in Paris that has the coat too big for me now. (Really, I think I just bought my clothes bigger a few years ago!) Luckily, they understood me, and next thing I knew, I too had pins sticking out all over from my sides and shoulders. They set a price which I thought was reasonable, and we set a date for me to pick it up. I couldn't believe my luck, to find a capable tailor right outside my door. Literally. I then went on a quest to purchase a beautiful orchid for my friend Edith. (Today is her birthday.) The streets are packed, because it's Saturday, but that also means that street performers are out on all the corners and people are stopping to admire their talent (I took the photo in Les Halles on my way home). Now I'm home and trying to figure out what's next. I might just take my book and go sit someplace outside. The sun is shining and I have a few hours before I need to start getting ready for tonight. Because it's Edith's birthday, about 10 of us girls are going out for dinner. After dinner we're all going to the cafe where the guys and any other friends will gather. After the cafe closes, we're all going out dancing. I even bought a skirt to wear.

No comments: