Monday, October 24, 2005

Cafe Connections



Edith's Birthday!
The top photos are from dinner at "Asian." The big photo is from the continuation of Edith's birthday at the Cafe. So people at home can put names with faces...(on the big photo, going left to right): Stephanie, Jen (she's kinda tucked behind Stephanie), Moema, Catherine, Melanie, Marie, me, Molly, and Edith.

Let me explain everyone: Stephanie, Moema, and Catherine went to school together in Great Britain. Catherine has been in Paris now for 4 years or more, Moema for 3 1/2, Stephanie for 3. Stephanie is Sly's girlfriend, one of the guys who works here at the cafe. Jen and Edith met at the cafe on one of Edith's first nights in Paris. One of the guys told Jen to go talk to Edith because she was also an American and she was all by herself. Apparently, Edith had her tour book out, Jen went over to talk to her (Edith thought Jen was French)...and Jen offered to give Edith French lessons. They studied at the cafe and quickly became friends. Melanie and Marie are the "little sisters" at the cafe. All the guys who work at the cafe have known these girls since they were kids (they're now 22 or 23), and Melanie now works at the cafe sometimes (she's the only female who's allowed to work there). Molly was introduced to the cafe on a trip to Paris about 2 years ago. She shared a cab with a guy from the airport who then invited her to dinner with his friends. They ended up at the cafe. Yonn, Molly's now husband, sat across from her at dinner and was awe-strucken. They just got married in Morocco at the end of September. And Edith...She arrived in Paris over 2 years ago for an internship. She didn't know anyone and ended up at the cafe by herself, and David, also a bartender there, told her to come back on Friday night when there's typically a larger "international" crowd. She had nothing else to do...so she returned, and that's when she met Jen. That same night, she met Victor, another bartender at the cafe. Not long after, they started seeing each other and have been together ever since. And Edith is mainly responsible for my tie-in to this entire entourage. I had met David, Victor, Sly, and Danny just by going into the cafe a few times by myself and later just by saying hi on the street because I lived around the corner this summer. Then when Leah was visiting, we went in more often and solidified our friendship with the guys who worked there. But I kept hearing about all of their girlfriends, yet I had never met any of them. One night after closing, Leah and I were sitting at the bar and Edith came over and sat down on the stool next to me saying, "I heard your accent, are you American too?" When I said yes, she gave a dynamic Edith response with a huge smile, "Yeay! Other American girls!" We ended up talking for quite a while, exchanged phone numbers, and we've been friends ever since. I can't imagine how different Paris would be had I never met Edith that night. And in the meantime, I've met everybody else and have begun forming some valuable friendships.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since I have never done this before, I hope my message gets through to you! I have enjoyed your website and hearing all about your new friends and your love of Paris. Love to you, Kathy