I will never stop learning. Not in the sense that I'll forever be a student of wonder and curiosity (which is also true, but not what I'm talking about), but that I think I have the right things figured out only to discover that I was wrong. So I found out yesterday that there are openings in a English Teaching Assistantship program, a program I researched this summer but was too late to apply for. It turns out that after the program begins, people leave and spots are unfilled, and then they do a second round of hiring, but they cannot provide the necessary visas--you must already have your paperwork squared away. And in order to do this, I would need a student visa. So I'm working on three parallel sets of requirements: 1) Figuring out how to become a full-time student without spending more money than I'd be making; 2) Obtaining a student visa; 3) Applying for this program. Now I'm running around trying to obtain and square away a copy of my diploma (which is framed and burried in my storage unit), pre-registration to a school (which includes its own long list of requirements), a CV and letter of motivation (in French and English), proof of residency, a flight home in the next week... Oh, and they're hiring now. So I might have a 2-week window to have this all finished.
And yesterday I was reminded of an intersting aspect of French culture. The fact that you can't ever do things as simply or quickly as you'd expect. I paid a personal visit to the director of this program to get more information. But she was busy (this is after a train ride out to the 20th arrd.), so I just received her name and phone number and instructions to call her Wednesday. Then it turns out that I might have been barking up the wrong tree because the openings might be in a city just outside of Paris--which means I went to the wrong office. Even renting a movie here is an ordeal. They have these sleek little computer vending machines all over the city. You put in your card, select your movie, and it comes out a slot. You get the movies for 6 hours, 12 hours, or 24 hours. But to even qualify for a movie card, you must have a French bank account, official photo ID, and official mail with your name and address. Since my landlord collects the bills and I pay in a lump sum, I have nothing to provide other than friendly letters. No good. So Karina and I are movie buddies, since she has this documentation. But we went back and forth to this movie office 3 times last night because the 4 pieces of photo ID she had with her were not sufficient.
It's amazing because I can walk out my front door and purchase all the fresh produce, bread, cheese, meat, flowers, etc. that I want. But I can't rent a movie. And now thinking about becoming a full-time language student, applying for a different visa, potentially getting a job... and it all has my mind spinning. I'm jazzed about the possibility but dreading what I know will be one mis-guided step after another. I know I'll do 10 things for every 1 productive step. But I can't complain (and I'm not). I'm in Paris...and I'm going to make this work.
1 comment:
Alas, not all is in vain and as we just discussed, the ND diploma has been found in the bowels of the storage unit and soon will be faxed. One thing right for you Amanda so I hope you don't do 10 other things that are fruitless.
Interesting that you would find it frustrating that ID's are required to get a movie which of course is true even in Plymouth. Wish our Governor would stop playing the the "disenfranchisement" card and simply require voters to show an Wisconsin ID or drivers license to vote. But to no avail after three veto's. Logic seems to have its preposterous boundaries.
Love ya and think this is a great opportunity to teach and study.
I think a cool frothy beer is good a pay back...........Dad
Post a Comment