The Monday after Easter, being today, is a national holiday in France. I still haven't figured out why such a secular country's national holidays still line up with the Catholic feast days. Nevertheless, the library is closed, the gym is closed, many businesses are closed....certainly the bank and any useful errands I might run are out of the question. So. I will write today in a café. I have become such a library junkie that writing in a café presents all kinds of obstacles (space, noise, outlets...!)....which is crazy because I remember countless hours I spent at Alterra in Milwaukee, grading papers and planning lessons and working on my teaching certification courses. That WAS my library! And I wish there was an Alterra in Paris. (Hmmm....an idea!?) But there are only Starbucks, in way of American-genr
I don't know why I'm even bothering to mention Starbucks when there is a LOT of good news to share! First, I had an amazing visit from my friend Heather Foley. We share the same birthday (though she's a year ahead of me)...our dad's were roommates at Notre Dame...and we grew up with our families hanging out at ND tailgates or their family coming up to WI for various reasons in the summer. And Heather and I have always connected so profoundly, and yet we've never actually spent a stretch of time together. And ceratinly not as adults. So when her parents bought her a ticket to come to Paris for her 30th birthday, I was ecstatic! But life took crazy exciting turns for Heather at the same time that she was
THEN, just when Heather left, my friend Molly gave birth to a baby girl! She and her husband Yann named her Savanna. Savanna Chevance. Beautiful. I went to the clinic less than 24 hours after her birth....and it was just increadible to see one of my best friends be SO very much HERSELF after going through childbirth. Molly is an absolutely beautiful mom...and I loved seeing her navigate motherhood...not knowing what to do,
And then, in much smaller news, I have crossed some major hurdles in my school year. Last semester was crazy busy, and this semester, though only taking 2 courses and writing my 100 pages, has seemed even worse. But I crossed a major bridge on Thursday. I finished 2 oral presentations....and those were either all or half of my grades in those 2 classes. So now I just have a 15-page paper to write for one class (and believe me, 15 pages is nothing these days!)....But for the most part I am just focusing on my own research and writing. And I've already got 40 or so pages under my belt (though 40 pages which still need revising)...and I'm working on the next chapter, which flowed right from the last, and I just feel such a sense of relief. That I can work now at a normal pace, and without the added stress, I can ENJOY the writing that I'm doing, without pulling nearly all-nighters to meet deadlines amidst preparing for other classwork.
So....now off to a café I go....maybe it will be a Starbucks....but I will enjoy the "Lundi de Pâques" holiday (Monday of Easter)....AND luckily Charley is still teaching his Ashtanga 2 yoga class this evening. I will be there.
1 comment:
Love the blog as usual sis. Just got back from FL and enjoyed reading your latest. While it seems strange to celebrate Catholic holidays in a secularized country, that's what makes France so great. Their history lies in Catholicism, and they're holding onto it like wine, cheese, and baguettes. It's part of who they are even though it's not practiced...at least it's something. As a Catholic, I wish more places were closed on Easter...people should relax and enjoy the day whether they celebrate or not.
Post a Comment