
Two nights ago it snowed. There will still piles on the wooden decks around the library when I arrived in the afternoon. This is a strange place...where we have spring-like weather all winter and then have snow in the spring. Alas. I saw Alicia Keys in concert with Mél, Kat, and Laetitia last week, and I will say that her voice is absolutely incredible, maybe even better live than on her albums. More rich, more varied...and she never stops! But. She, as a person, disappointed me. I guess we don't get the same media coverage over here, because I seemed to be outta the loop that she
IS an immature person who doesn't have a whole lot of depth. Nobody at home was surprised when I made that remark about her personality (or lack thereof!) during the concert! But I was surprised. She was packaged, scripted. So now we have a big group going to see Mary J. Blige in June. I have pretty high hopes for her!! And then on Saturday, we threw Molly's baby shower. She loved it...and I loved seeing her and seeing Savanna!
And on a totally different subject, I should be working on my chapter that's due on Thursday...but

there is a documentary on France 2 right now..."68". It's about the many, many revolutions that occurred in 1968. They just finished the portion on the US...protests against Vietnam, the assassinations of Martin Luther King and JFK. Just amazing. The images, and the interviews and video footage...the music and the history....and I just can't help but think about how the structures of power are no different now...in fact, if anything, they are stronger, more centralized, visible and covert at the same time. And yet, we have nothing of the sort today. Well, to some extent we still do in Paris, but much less in the US. Are our lives just that much easier today? Is there less to fight about, to fight for? Is my generation that complacent? That passive? That disengaged? Distracted?
I have no way of wrapping this up. Oh the times, they are a changin'.
1 comment:
Amanda,
Just wanted you to know that I still read your blog and love it. Thank you for keeping that alive. Reading about you and Heather reminded me of being back there with you having wine, going out and having such a great time. I miss those days...
I love you sis.
Post a Comment