The cutest Normand ever
Getting a Christmas tree in a big city like Paris, carrying it down narrow streets and up tiny winding staircases, seems like a task and a headache. But they've developed quite an admirable system to ensure that everyone who wants a real tree for the holidays can get one quite easily. There are lots all over the city--I believe each arrondissement has at least 2 lots set up, and then most floral shops sell the trees on the sidewalk (and since the floral shops are everywhere, if you're willing to pay a bit more, you can find one no more than 10 blocks from home). After you've chosen your tree, they stuff it through a big plastic funnel, forcing the branches upward, pulling it out the back into a tight plastic net. They tie the net at the top, and your entire tree is portable and compact. The other interesting aspect of Christmas trees in France is that they don't believe in watering them. They believe in trimming the trunk and allowing the sap to seal the moisture inside. They then stick it into a half-log as a stand, and "viola," no mess, no problems forgetting to water it...and supposedly it will keep until January. So far, I haven't lost a single needle. Really, not one. The only headache involved with this tree was going shopping for lights. Sam and Henderson
were with me in the BHV looking through scores of boxes, wondering how a strand of lights could be so complex (not to mention expensive!). These little Christmas lights (so little you can't even really see them in the picture..although you can see the cord!) come with a surge protector larger than one you'd find for your refrigerator...and it weighs a solid 4 pounds (you think I'm joking, but I'm not). Then, the "strand" that makes up the cord of the lights is actually 9 cords wound around each other. So here you have these little lights sticking up from 9 strands of cord, and trying to make the cord look indescrete on the tree is impossible. Nevertheless, I love my tree with its ornaments from various shops and travels. Besides, I can't celebrate Christmas away from home and not have a real tree to carry me into the new year.
2 comments:
No one can tell a Christmas Tree saga like you can Amanda. Right down to the 9 strands. Nevertheless humorous and it looks great. Will share pictures of my tree if I ever develop my film.
Love ya..........Dad! Giving blog page copies to Grandma G.
I'd like to see them stuff that tree in a tube...what a funny sight that must be! I loved the story and I hope you are continuing to have a great French Christmas.
Post a Comment