Friday, February 06, 2009

Sensory memories


Completely random....here are some of the sensory memories that have made me more alive:
  • the smell of horses sweating and the feel of their deep inhales and exhales after a good ride
  • swinging in Sturzl's hamock
  • listening to roosters crowing at 5am in Harare
  • mom playing the piano at night while Josh, Jon and I fell asleep
  • the distinct ambulence siren sound that reminds me I'm in Europe
  • the smell of dad's shirt when I'd hug him after a work day at Sargento
  • the sharp smell of the conductor's sweat while leaning over me in the ET (afternoon rides were more memorable)
  • the feel of my blanky on my neck or cheek
  • the taste of grandma Suemnicht's chocolate chip cookies....and of taking Andies candies out of their fridge
  • my first sips of Tanganda tea
  • listening to Cyndie Lauper in Madison with Leah while driving out to the marsh
  • the smell of books from the library
  • the clicking of my new/old typewriter
  • the smell of my African mudcloth, which I use as a bedspread....it still smells the same as when I brought it home
  • sound of Jon or Josh bursting into the house shouting that the other one had a bloody nose
  • the first Saturday that I woke up to the ND marching band playing the fight song
  • singing Garth Brooks to and from horse shows
  • the smell of breaking open a new bag of shavings in a freshly-stripped stall
  • the sound of the Mullet River behind our Riverview Rd. house...and the small stream that ran off to the side of it
  • sitting inside the wooden teepee at Shelly's house, the sun shining between the logs

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes...I also loved the smell of a new bag of shavings. MEMORIES!!!

Hope all is well. Take care!

Jen (Kraus) Kiekhoefer

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
I always love reading your blog.
The future is all written for you: once you'll be done with all your studies, or even before, even - RIGHT NOW - you should be a writer. The way you pin your thoughts down....,WOW! Do you realize it makes people think they are there with you, smelling, hearing like you, feeling what they understand you feel, living the same situations, listening to your music, and get light tears in their eyes... The way you write is just too excellent not to share it with the whole world. Just write a book on anything, let your feelings talk. It will be a bestseller, no doubt.
You're always welcome in inspiring French Alps, of course ;-) .
Love, Claudia

Anonymous said...

Sis-

I love the blog...oh the smell of grandma's cookies! Another rockin' memory is the smell of their apartment by the river; that heavy brown carpeting, the two rockers facing the tv and window, the cookie jar on the back right corner of the small galley kitchen...it's great! Also, I'm not sure about all this horse stuff...what about the smell of a fresh basketball!

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Claudia, you are so descriptive in your writing. I had tears of love remembering those times that I was fortunate to experience those things with you and Josh and Jon. How wonderful it was to be able to see and smell and touch the world through your eyes. I was So blessed!
LOVE, MOM

Anonymous said...

What about getting ready for school in the morning with Les Mis blaring? Or the smell of a bonfire taking you back to the Sargento softball bonfires, playing Capture the Flag. And if you walk into SJB, you'll smell that same smell and it will bring back loads of memories!

I am sorry to report that the teepee is no longer there. Time took its toll and no one was there to keep it standing. That's not to say that I won't be there resurrecting it with the help of Molly and Max. I'm looking forward to when they are old enough to do more exploring in the woods! "I am Danny Boone" Hee, hee!