

Summer vacation part two takes place in the States. It makes me realize, though, that I am completely discrediting almost 4 weeks of vacation in Paris! I can honestly say, though, that my

categorical self almost blocked that part of my time, knowing that I still had my trip home to follow. So going home meant first going to Monterey, California, for my Mom and Paul's wedding. It was more fantastic than I anticipated! I was lucky to stay in the same hotel room as my mom...with Leah as well and Paula in an adjoining room. So we did our hair together, our make-up...drank wine, talked at night, and tried and re-tried different outfits together. I got to see the excitement in my mom as she awaited her wedding. And I think the second time is quite powerful. To say those vows to someb

ody after having lived them with somebody else. To know what they truly mean, to understand what that commitment entails, to be courageous and confident enough to make it work. My mom and Paul re-discovered each other, and I am so happy that they have both found happiness in their relationship. I didn't know necessarily how the marriage would change the dimension, but after having been home, I get it. I saw it. I felt it. So....going back, the wedding in California was amazing....
Then I was back in Wisconsin. The first stop was a trip to Lake Geneva to see my friend Steph and her now 5-year-old daughter Auden. This has become an annual affair, and it's such a joy to see Auden's growth each year. This year to see her start to swim, to ask questions abo

ut my family, to watch her act out entire scenes from
The Sound of Music...she can recite poetry by heart, she sings Ani DiFranco, she even drove the boat. Then at night, Leah, Steph, and I sit on the couch or porch and sip a little wine, talk, and occas

ionally dive into the container of custard! I then had time with my dad, got to see his last softball game of the season, didn't help at all in the house he's working on, but I did

help pick out two vanities, sinks, and fixtures! We made dinners, sat out by the pool, spent time at Crystal Lake, took some morning walks (though we both agreed, not enough of them!)...and had some really great and necessary conversations. I also played with my high school class in a fundraiser softball tournament. Leah sat on the bleachers with my dad, Mom, and Paul, as they all watched me strike out every single time! I also got to spend some time in Milwaukee with Josh...hang out in the Cholive headquarters, go out together, meet up with mutual friends of ours...and I even got to see one of my former students from LE. My mom and I also did our summer peach canning... And then for the first time in 12 years, I went to the Sheboygan County Fair!! The cows, I adore. Had to see them the first night with my dad. We also wen

t to see my horse, Mac, and I almost cried when I walked into his stall. I bought him when he was 4, and he's now 22 years old! And still looking and moving beautifully! Then we found my cousins and their friends...people I knew from years back, friends I showed horses with...and we all experienced an Oil Can Harry concert. I can't remember the last time I drank so much beer, nor had so much beer spilled all over me! The only logical thing to do, then at 1 am, was to go to my dad's pool! I then got back to the fair with my mom and aunt...and we did all the animal barns (particula

rly intrigued by the poultry! what diversity!!), did the crafts barn, looked at the canned food and knitting and cases upon cases of breads and other baked goods!
And then I went down to Chicago. Leah moved into the most fabulous apartment...so I helped her unpack, arrange and re-arrange...we schemed about the best places to read, to dance, to talk on the phone, to watch the sun turn pink, and to, of course, drink coffee! I also got to make a trip to Indiana to visit Obadyah. His situation deserves its own posting...so I will save that. I got to see my old hair-dresser, Patrick, who gave me a fabulous cut...got to have dinner with cousin Nic, hang out with Heather Foley...and just enjoy time being with Leah in her environment.
Then merely days later, the Munsterer's arrived. They are my sister-in-law Molly's family! They all came for the Ironman triathalon in Madison....which my brother Jon was, of course, participating in! With cars packed full with coolers, food, cowbells, sneakers, layers, an outdoor tent and chairs, and even a megaphone...We carpooled to Madison, where Jon had already arrived and checked out the course with his coach, Pete. The weekend was absolutely amazing. Inspirational. Non-stop fun! We were such a good "Team Jon": Munsterer's, Becky (Molly's sister), Josh, Leah, Paula and Dan, Pat an

d Steve, Dad, Mom and Paul... of course the two yellow labs, Scout and Duke! Molly made us all matching t-shirts, and h

aving loaded up on a carbo dinner, we were all ready to hit the course at 5:30 the next morning! Jon of course got there much earlier! With the sun rising over Lake Mendota, all the swimmers got into the water. It was like a sea of minnows when the cannon sounded and everyone spanned out across the water. Jon finished his 2-mile swim in an hour. Paula and I watched him transition from the swim to the bike...we all met up, and then drove out to our spot along the bike route. The bike was 112 miles...and we were at marker 45 and 90 miles. We met up with Pete, set up 2 tents...and then proceeded to yell and cheer and clap and dance...make human pyramids and do kick lines and ring bells for the next 5 1/2 hours to cheer on the bikers! I think Jon gave us the biggest complement ever

when, after all was said and done, he said that we were the most fun cheering group along the entire bike route! Oh, we had energy. (And when that lagged, we went to the coolers for beer!) Then we went to downtown Madison where we caught Jon on at least 6 times along the marathon route. We kept on cheering, taking more breaks to sit on any grass or pop into a bar from time to time. But then 12 hours later, we all parked it at the finish line. Jon (still running!) came through at 12h45min. He did sooooo well! The sun had set over the capitol building, and there was music blasting...and Jon was so amazingly still full of energy! He had more than we did! We took photos and then went back to the hotel where none of us could even walk anymore. Bu

t Paul had brought celebratory champagne, so after getting Wendy's burgers, Jon and Molly came back to meet us all in the hotel where we opened champagne and re-invigorated ourselves by re-counting the days events...and asking Jon a thousand questions! The next morning we had IHOP breakfasts and thanked our stars that the day's rain hadn't fallen during the Ironman. And then I had to say good-bye. And it all felt very strange. To Josh the night before, to Leah after breakfast, and to Jon and Molly at the hotel. But it was the most fabulous way to end all of our summer vacations. Because all summer we'd all been talking about Italy...then California...then the Ironman. And when that final benchmark is over, a different reality hits. So next: Christmas!!
2 comments:
Amanda, great blog! I love reading your writing and hearing about your perspectives on life and the events in your life.
I miss you so much sis. I hope everything is well in Paris.
Love you!
Seestor- Love the post and "shout out" to the Ironman! Great pics, great stories, great adventures. I particularly liked the brown bovine at the good ole' Sheboygan County Fair. There's nothing I would like more than to play the gold fish game (how twisted is that game...throw ping pong balls at fish) eat a grilled cheese sandwich, drink some chocolate milk from the Lions Club, enjoy a bag of mini donuts, and top it all off with a cream puff! Then, when stuffed to the max, check to see if I won a ribbon for my crappy art work. Love you lots. Jon
Post a Comment