Thursday, April 20, 2006

There's No Place Like Home

The seven days I spent at home are right up there with the best trips I've ever taken. And it's strange when, really for the first time in my life, going "home" is a scheduled vacation. Having lived in Milwaukee and Chicago, getting to see my friends and family in the Midwest has always just been part of my routine. So it was a little strange to map out each day for the short amount of time I had, especially after not having been home for five months and knowing I won't be again for another three. I had a wonderful, somewhat surprise welcome-home sushi dinner, Leah took a day off of work so we could do our annual spring-time make-up shopping and just spend the whole day bouncing around and eating fantastic meals. I was able to pay a surprise visit to Obadyah in Indiana, see Jenna in Milwaukee, eat way too much Mexican food, and have a sleep-over at Josh's and see his office. In Plymouth I spent a sunny afternoon riding my horse, celebrated my birthday (several times!), took walks around Crystal Lake, played with the dogs, and sat on back porches. My friend John drove up to Plymouth to hang out, we kept the wine flowing, toasted champagne, and cooked wonderful meals. I also got to spend really valuable time with my grandma (she's such an amazingly perceptive, positive, and witty 96-year old!), had time to bond with my brothers, and had opportunities for good conversations with both my mom and my dad. I saw cousins on both sides of the family on Easter Sunday, both by chance and planning, and Paula even remembered my birthday with a "Bonne Anniversaire" cake! And even though there are still people I didn't get to see and things I didn't get to do, I feel completely rejuvenated and whole again.

Top Ten Reasons why There's No Place Like Home:
(in no particular order!)
  • Getting a pedicure in Chicago is as easy as ordering a take-out pizza (and more enjoyable!)
  • The Nomad in Milwaukee and 52 Stafford in Plymouth are the only places where I'll drink a bloody mary
  • Wearing sweatpants and tennis shoes out to breakfast is perfectly acceptable
  • Chester's cheeseburgers. Need I say more?
  • Driving!
  • Letitia's cookies. So big. So good!
  • I can be witty and interesting (I don't have the language skills or quickness to do so in French!)
  • Listening to NPR in the morning
  • Sargento shredded cheese blends (there's nothing but shredded emental here)
  • Soft water!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda -

So glad we had the chance to see you in church "in the baby room" on Easter Sunday. We'll see you in July at the wedding. With all the wine you drink over in Paris, are you going to "carry the torch"?

Nicci

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda, your return home was just wonderful. I so enjoyed our visits and the afternoon/evening of bloody mary's, wine, tenderloin, and your special vegetables was a real treat. Clearly our "Catch Phrase" skills were awful but I think the boys and Molly weren't playing fair.

Smack!