So as I've shared my daily adventures, the nuances of Parisian life, my personal reflections, and stories about friends and family, there is one person who was such a huge, life-changing force in my life who simply hasn't been mentioned on this blog. And although it has been exactly 9 months now since I last saw him and since I severed the very ties that used to often keep me afloat, I have to acknowledge that in my nostalgic reflections, I often think about Germaine. The other day I heard a song and just swelled up; I just thought, "That was Germaine." I want to share the lyrics, because no matter what has happened and what will come, I realize that I was extremely blessed to have had somebody in my life who knew me and loved me in the very way that he did.
"Everything" by Alanis Morrisette
"I can be an asshole of the grandest kind
I can withhold like it’s going out of style
I can be the moodiest baby, and you’ve never met anyone
As negative as I am sometimes
I am the wisest woman you’ve ever met
I am the kindest soul with whom you’ve connected
I have the bravest heart that you’ve ever seen
And you’ve never met anyone as positive as I am sometimes
You see everything, you see every part
You see all my light and you love my dark

You dig everything of which I’m ashamed
There’s not anything to which you can’t relate
And you’re still here.
I blame everyone else, not my own partaking
My passive-aggressiveness can be devastating
I’m terrified and mistrusting
And you’ve never met anyone
As closed down as I am sometimes
You see everything you see every part
You see all my light and you love my dark
You dig everything of which I’m ashamed
There’s not anything to which you can’t relate
And you’re still here.
What I resist, persists, and speaks louder than I know
What I resist, you love, no matter how low or high I go
I’m the funniest woman that you’ve ever known
I’m the dullest woman that you’ve ever known
I’m the most gorgeous woman that you’ve ever known
And you’ve never met anyone as everything as I am sometimes
You see everything you see every part
You see all my light and you love my dark
You dig everything of which I’m ashamed
There’s not anything to which you can’t relate
And you’re still here."
I know this is the direction my life needed to take, and I know this is where I belong. But it doesn't mean that I've burried or forgotten the most serious relationship I've ever built. I guess part of the growing includes the recognition of the amazing role Germaine played in my life. And I'm thankful for that place that he occupied.
2 comments:
Hi Amanda: Was showing John Anderson your Blog and was surprised to see the updates since I left Plymouth. What wonderful memories of simple times. We have all truly been blessed. And of course your acknowledgement of Germaine and what he has meant is truly endearing. Indeed we never really know where life will lead us, but that is consistent with your adventure. God will continue to lead you. Love ya and can't wait to see you. 75 in Charlotte this morning.
Amanda,
I’m so happy that Shelly shared your blog with me! I’ve been visiting for several weeks and have been experiencing so many emotions while reading your journal entries… sadness, happiness, excitement, jealousy (of course, in a good way), appreciation, etc. You are truly blessed to have this special time to yourself. Anyways, I love the blog, your thoughts, and the confidence you portray so vividly. Enjoy Spring! The sun is shining here, so I actually might be able to enjoy some time outside with the girls.
Take Care,
Sarah (Kraus) Jarr
Post a Comment