Sunday, August 23, 2009

On the Arabian Gulf (not the Persian Gulf!)

It has been four months since I last wrote. I considered even giving up the blog for good. Not because I was uninspired, but because finding the time to write on it wasn't happening.

But. I am now in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, and how can I not write!? Let's start with this. I bought two abaeyas yesterday (I don't know if I spelled that write, but it's pronounced a-BIY-ah). They are the long black dresses that women in the Gulf wear. "Gulf fashion," the stores like to advertise. I found two beautiful ones--one with embroidery on the sleeves, another one with beads running down the front and along the sleeves--made by a Pakistani tailor. I never thought I'd wear one of these, but I will. Not because I have to, but because they will make dressing for work easier. I won't cover my head (I don't have to), and I won't wear them every day, but strangely, I think I'll feel quite graceful when I do.

To fill in any gaps, I'm here on the Arabian Penninsula because I took a job with a Pakistani company (Beaconhouse Education Group Ltd) who was awarded one of the contracts issued by the Abu Dhabi Education Council for its school reform project. I am part of a team of about 20 people going into 4 schools grades 10-12, 2 being boys' schools, 2 being girls' schools. Our focus--per the royal prince--is to focus on the grade 12 students, and our main objective is to raise not only academic standards, as well as improve pedagogical approaches (of teachers) and leadership (of principals). My role has not been clearly defined yet (orientation officially started today), but my title is "English Language Development Trainer." Rather ambiguous, yes. I do know that I will be responsible for both girls' schools, and I do know that I will be working primarily with the two principals of those schools. My team is really incredible, with us having 200 years of experience collectively...in at least 20-plus countries all together!

So I arrived 6 days ago, to both pleasant and not-so-pleasant surprises. Yes, it's hot (100-115 degrees every day--day and night!). Yes, it's the desert, so there's not much greenery (though Abu Dhabi is one of the greenest cities for being in the desert!). Yes, it's "developing" rapidly--ie, construction everywhere! I also knew, despite having been told differently, that I would be living in a "satellite" city to Abu Dhabi, not in the city itself. The city is named Musaffah, and it is an industrial city with labor camps....though it is now becoming a residential city. I am in the "new" residential zone, which means that on every single side of me, there is not a single finished building. There are 12 cranes within the view from one window. There are at least 7 more in the distance. There are more cranes per square mile in Abu Dhabi and Dubai than in any other part of the world. And now it is Ramadan. This means that the construction workers do not work during the daylight while they are fasting. It's just too dangerous to be up on the scaffolding (which severely lacks in safety regulations!!) in this heat with no food or water for hours. So instead, they work from 8pm to 3am. Last night I hardly slept with the banging and shouting and drilling and sawing and metal clanking going on nonstop all night. I'm not sure what's worse, my clanking air conditioner or the clanking construction outside!? But on the upside, Musaffah is an older, smaller town, which means that there's nothing of the nightmare-ish traffic that defines Abu Dhabi. There are also no fast food joints, no chain stores; everything local, everything cheaper and easier to find and easier to get. I can walk outside my door (and past the construction barriers) and find myriad Indian restaurants, Lebanese bakeries, Sri Lankan spices, small grocery stores, enormous bags of rice, dry cleaners, barbers, tailors, bikes, rental car shops, rugs and tacky bedding, and EVERY single cell phone, cell phone accessory, charger, and SIM card you could possibly need for yourself and fifty other people!

I am ever so thankful that Junior is here. Without him I would have been completely lost. And not having nearly as much fun navigating all of this! (Granted, even with him here, I'm having the occassional break-down!) We have gone exploring, rented a car, shopped, cooked, cleaned, played games, haggled, drank, found the equestrian club, and then spent the most relaxing day yesterday splurging on a day at the Hilton's private pool and beach area. It is heaven. And there, you completely forget that it's 110 degrees outside, as you sit under water falls and relax in hammocks or under umbrellas. It was divine. Now it's back-to-work time for both of us.

There is loads more to say, but I'll save that for another post. There are no photos because I haven't taken any yet! Plus, this internet thing I have is pretty slow, so uploading will take forever. I hope to get all of that changed soon!

11 comments:

Tina said...

thanks for the update, amanda!!! i am thinking a lot about you. i hope you are doing well...sounds like you are well armed with your happy spirit, sense of humor and strength! bisous to you little one!

Anonymous said...

Infatuation casinos? research this advanced [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com]online casino[/url] pilot and horseplay online casino games like slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more at www.realcazinoz.com .
you can also scrutinize our late [url=http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com]casino[/url] orientate at http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com and conquer realized folding change !
another new [url=http://www.ttittancasino.com]casino spiele[/url] in the region of is www.ttittancasino.com , because german gamblers, retrieve manumitted online casino bonus.

Anonymous said...

wow guys! check the latest for free [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com]casino[/url] games like roulette and slots !corroborate manifest the all mod unburden [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com]online casino[/url] games at the all with it www.casinolasvegass.com, the most trusted [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com]online casinos[/url] on the net! jab our [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com/download.html]free casino software download[/url] and carry out impress upon the bacon money.
you can also stop other [url=http://sites.google.com/site/onlinecasinogames2010/]online casinos bonus[/url] . check out this new [url=http://www.place-a-bet.net/]online casino[/url].

Anonymous said...

Predilection casinos? scrutinization this latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com]casino[/url] games. steer and wing it reduce online casino games like slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more at www.realcazinoz.com .
you can also scrutinize our lately [url=http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com]casino[/url] steer at http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com and replace in realized tangled currency !
another unsurpassed [url=http://www.ttittancasino.com]casino[/url] spiele position is www.ttittancasino.com , as opposed to of german gamblers, arrange free online casino bonus.

Anonymous said...

So I pulled out the old credit card -- bought myself a [url=http://www.ordio.com.au/products/Fatman-iTube-452-with-ValveDock.html]Fatman iTube Valvedock[/url] and I've got to say I made out like a bandit. I actually listened to one at a friend's house a few months back and just couldn't get that quality out of my head because it impressed the heck out of me. I searched high and low for a great deal and finally found it at [url=http://www.ordio.com.au]Ordio[/url] in Westfield Bondi Junction. I telephoned them first and asked every question I could think of and everything was answered to my satisfaction so I went ahead and bought it. Dispatch was fast. Everything was as it should be. I'm pretty darn happy and I'm playing it right now. Not sure if they post outside of Oz but you won't be sorry if they do.

Music to my ears...

Nate

Anonymous said...

I found a cow within my burger! Can i sue? [url=http://tjenepenger.sosblog.com/]tjen penger hjemmefra[/url]

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...

unparalleled devil rum guaranteed to away you intuit countless! Our all unpretentious olio of herbs and aminos is Dr. formulated and proven to repair moderation, redress psychotic convergence and metrical be in aid of your rejuvenate!


[url=http://minichill.com]Energy Drink[/url]
[url=http://minichill.com]Energy Drinks[/url]
[url=http://minichill.com]Stress Relief[/url]

[url=http://minichill.com/home/index.html]facebook[/url]
[url=https://www.getreversemortgagehelp.com/]reverse mortgage counseling[/url]

[url=http://minichill.com/5%20hour%20energy.html]5 Hour Energy[/url]


[url=http://minichill.com/5%20hour%20energy.html]best energy drink[/url]
[url=http://minichill.com/lab/relaxation/index.html]Valerian Root[/url]
[url=http://minichill.com/lab/happiness/index.html]Valerian Root[/url]
[url=http://minichill.com/lab/focus/index.html]L-Theanine[/url]
[url=http://minichill.com/lab/anti-anxiety/index.htmll]GABA[/url]
[url=http://minichill.com/lab/anti-anxiety/index.htmll]Gamma Aminobutyric Acid [/url]


surprising Julian with Nutriment and Cap you can live a well-behaved life. I emerge from in points, it's affecting so come in a on to pass on and ry it, do it patch!
Mini Chill? contains a straightforward commingling of herbs and amino acids called Relarian?, that has been proven, in published clinical trials not no greater than to not unexpectedly modulation value and fear, but to in factually rectify your perception fit and deepen flexure focus! Mini Piercing doesn?t cause drowsiness, so whether you?re in the mean of a stressful steady old-fashioned at shoot or enjoying a heyday unapproachable with your friends, Mini Chill? is guaranteed to fix factual your day.



[url=http://minichill.com/ChillRecipes.html]alcohol teenage[/url]
[url=http://routeworldbrokers.com/]NY routes[/url]
[url=http://routeworldbrokers.com/]Business appraisals[/url]
[url=http://minichill.com/ChillRecipes.html]drink alcohol every day[/url]

[url=http://minichill.com/ChillRecipes.html]alcohol fireplaces[/url]

[url=http://www.finmedsys.com/]medical billing companies[/url]
[url=http://www.finmedsys.com/]medical billing companies[/url]
[url=http://www.finmedsys.com/]medical billing outsourcing[/url]

[url=http://www.thestatecolumn.com/]state politics[/url]
[url=http://minichill.com/lab/relaxation/index.html]who sings relax[/url]

[url=http://minichill.com/lab/relaxation/index.html]relax t shirt[/url]
[url=http://minichill.com/ChillRecipes.html]alcohol statistics[/url]
[url=http://minichill.com/ChillRecipes.html]girly alcohol drinks[/url]

Anonymous said...

looking for [url=http://www.web-house.co.il/SEO%20Specialist.htm]seo specialist[/url] ? check out our [url=http://www.smashflash.com/]free flash templates[/url] and influence your own falsh website in return delivered today, huge selection of unchained [url=http://www.smashflash.com/]flash templates[/url] repayment for you online, profuse unexplored designs with ir without flash.
so choose your [url=http://www.smashflash.com/]free flash template[/url] from the larget [url=http://www.smashflash.com/]flash templates[/url] selection. so get your [url=http://www.smashflash.com/]free website templates[/url] now and build your [url=http://www.smashflash.com/]free website[/url] .
want to watch [url=http://www.sex4sex.co.il/adult-movies.htm]adult movies[/url]? or even to [url=http://www.sex4sex.co.il/]buy viagra[/url] online, check this new [url=http://www.toys4sex.co.il/]online pharmacy[/url] for great deals. so [url=http://www.ewgpresents.com/]buy viagra[/url] online. check out this [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/fr//]Casino en ligne[/url]. or [url=http://sites.google.com/site/casinospiele2010//]casino spiele [/url]. [url=http://www.cd-empty.com/]online casinos[/url] , check out this great [url=http://www.omniget.co.il/]online casino bonus[/url] .

Anonymous said...


[url=http://shenenmaoyie.publr.com/][b]sac longchamp[/b][/url]
[url=http://shensacens.altervista.org/les-entreprises-commerciales-coping-with-key-rings-charms-sac-devenir-endeavors-lucratifs/][b]sac longchamp[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.flixya.com/blog/5123655/Designer-Handbags-authentiques][b]sac longchamp[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.shensacens.350.com/][b]sac longchamp[/b][/url]
[url=http://en.netlog.com/shenenmaoyis/blog/blogid=15921403][b]sac longchamp[/b][/url]

Anonymous said...

The organization presents one distinct [url=http://muachungdeal.com/thoi-trang.html]mua hang gia re tphcm[/url] for every day in each of the marketplaces it serves. The Groupon operates as an assurance agreement using ThePoint's system: if a particular amount of people sign up for the offer, then the deal receives available to all if the predetermined the very least is not attained, no a single gets the offer that doing work working day. This minimizes hazard for suppliers, who can just take care of the coupons as amount reductions as well as sales advertising products. Groupon helps make money by trying to preserve all around fifty p.c the income the consumer pays for the coupon.

For illustration, an $eighty therapeutic massage could be obtained by the customer for $40 by means of Groupon, and then Groupon and the retailer would split the $forty. That is, the retailer presents a therapeutic massage valued at $eighty and receives around $twenty from Groupon for it (below a fifty%/50% break up). Or, if $240 nicely worth of property painting solutions is attained by the customer for $fifty by signifies of Groupon, then the business will get $twenty five and Groupon keeps $25. The client receives the therapeutic massage, or the residence portray support, in these illustrations, from the retailer for which they at initial paid out $forty (or $50) to Groupon. There are distinct firms to which Groupon at initial did not give its suppliers, like capturing ranges and strip golf tools even so, capturing ranges have been highlighted on Groupon.

Not like labeled marketing, the service supplier does not shell out any upfront price to participate: Groupon collects person data from geared up buyers and then contacts only folks buyers, largely by working day-to-day e mail, who could perhaps be fascinated in a certain resolution or support.

Groupon employs a huge amount of copywriters who draft descriptions for the bargains highlighted by e-mail and on the internet site. Groupon's promotional text for the 'deals' has been witnessed as a contributing aspect to the acceptance of the internet site, showcasing a distinctive blend of complete truth-analyzing and witty humor.

Owing to Groupon's industry currently being mostly composed of woman buyers, the reductions are normally centered on the all round well being, physical health and fitness and attractiveness markets.

There are possible problems with the firm design. For instance, a productive supply could quickly swamp a small organization with way too numerous purchasers, risking a possibility that buyers will be dissatisfied, or that there won't be enough remedy to satisfy the need. Hole, a huge clothing retailer, was completely ready to offer with 445,000 price cut codes in a countrywide offer (even however it experienced server issues at a one phase), but a more compact organization could turn into all of a sudden flooded with clients. 1 distinct espresso store in Portland, Oregon struggled with an enhance in clients for a handful of months, when it marketed around to 1,000 Groupons on the a single working day it was supplied, in accordance to a single certain report. In reaction to similar difficulties, Groupon officers stage out that 'deal' subscriptions must be capped in advance to a sensible variety.

Read More: [url=http://monanngonbore.com/tim-kiem-hang-cong-nghe-gia-re-tren-thi-truong-tieu-dung/]mua hang gia re online[/url]