Not only did I realize that morning walks may be the solution, but it also occurred to me that all this time I've been trying to fit in, I've also removed myself from the position I was in when I fell in love with Paris in the first place. I loved it for everything that made it so Parisian--the cafes with chalkboard signs advertising cafe and croissants, the sweeping art-deco design style, the beautiful buildings with wrought-iron balconies and expansive gardens with chairs set around the grass, flowers, and fountains. The little shops and tiny alley-ways and hidden staircases. And as I have worked to create my life here, trying hard to cease being and looking and acting like a "tourist", my senses have numbed to those things which thrill me about Paris. So as my morning walks will take me through different parts of the city, in my American walking gear, I will constantly be reminded of all those things that brought me here in the first place.
Today's medical appointment also restored some much-needed hope in the w
hole French way of doing things. Luckily I was in the first group of people for the day, but I was told where to wait, I was called promptly, they took an x-ray picture of my lungs (seen here, yes...I just love that I get to keep my proof of healthy lungs!), I spoke with a doctor who asked a number of questions and took my blood pressure, and then the receptionist explained the papers I was given and the process for buying "stamps" for my "titre de sejour" (residence permit). I walked to a nearby tabac to buy the stamps, went back to the building to see another woman behind a different desk to hand in all my necessary papers, and she told me when I could return to pick up my official (final!) "titre de sejour". Everybody was helpful and pleasant, and I was finished with everything in under 2 hours. As I exited the metro near my apartment, x-ray envelope and French newspaper in hand, I just started laughing. I am official. Everything is real--I'm living here, I have papers, I can come and go as I want for the next year and I made it through the process. And it wasn't so bad afterall. That's the thing about slumps. When you crawl out of one, you can look back and say it wasn't so rough. It is even cold, gray and raining a bit today, but all of it feels good. I will meet my friend Henderson in a bit to make our "connaissance" with the Starbucks on my street, and then I will go to class. I do not have phonetics today, so I might even use my movie pass to catch a film this evening, especially if it's still raining. As Leah would say, the world is my French oyster, and I need to not forget it!
3 comments:
Amanda I'm glad you have restored your good feelings. Never fun to be in a funk. Especially glad you worked through the medical stuff and that you are an official Parisian.........as least for a while.
Will share your thoughts with Grandma
Love ya...........Dad
Amanda - I have been thinking so much about you! I decided that I should just stop a moment and google you! I know you emailed me your blog awhile ago but I must have deleted that email. I am so glad I found you...blogging your way through Paris!
It is truly fascinating reading your writings, but I must admit I feel like a bit of a voyeur! But, I get over it quickly because I know you and I find your honesty so beautiful! You have an amazing life and I am so happy for you!
- Hebes :)
Amanda -
I have finally caught up on all your blogs for the last 6 weeks. We were living with Shelly, Travis and Molly for 7 weeks while we did some house remodeling. It was lots of fun (Shel-bel and I had fun picking on our husbands!) but it is always good to come home. Spring has definately sprung here in Plymouth. It was a beautiful week weather wise and flowers are starting to peek up out of the ground. I'm sure Paris is beautiful right now too. Especially while you are sight- seeing with your Starbucks!!
Love reading your blog!
Nicci
Post a Comment